by Mark A. Ridenour, Consultant to the Ohio Optometric Association
The seven ACOs in Ohio that are Medicare-endorsed are
1. Mercy Health Select LLC, Cincinnati.
2. ProMedica Physician Group Inc., Toledo.
3. Summa Accountable Care Organization, Akron.
4. University Hospitals Coordinated Care, Shaker Heights.
5. NOMS ACO, LLC, Sandusky.
6. University Hospitals Coordinated Care, Cleveland.
7. Northwest Ohio ACO, Toledo.
These are Medicare Accountable Care Organizations which are generally for three years and cover at least 5,000 Medicare beneficiaries. There is no accreditation of ACOs; therefore, these Medicare ACOs are the only ones listed publicly.
However, almost ever major health system is building ACO-type entities. Some may pursue Medicare contracts, but because there are stringent rules associated with these government contracts, many may choose to work with private payors (e.g. Aetna, Anthem). You may become aware of these in your local community. If so, try to learn how they plan to incorporate eye care. Tell the OOA, because they may be affiliated with another entity where the OOA has already established relationships.
The AOA is developing an ACO tool kit for members, and when the tool kit is available the OOA Third Party Committee will work to align with Ohio activities.